Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Country Life Acres, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Country Life Acres, MO Fall Lawn Care
The transition of one season to the next always means something when it comes to lawn care. Successful Country Life Acres lawn care is not merely mowing and watering once a week during the summer - it requires strategically scheduled and executed maintenance during every season. You can handle some things on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. Do the right things at the right time this fall in Country Life Acres, MO, and brilliant, healthy green grass will emerge from the snow when spring rolls around. Let Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis transform your property into the envy of your neighbors with our Country Life Acres, MO fall lawn care services. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Country Life Acres, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Country Life Acres, MO, including:
- Outdoor Landscape Lighting
- Spring Lawn Care
- Sprinkler System Startup
- Lawn Care Service
- Dewinterize Sprinkler System
- Sprinkler Valve Repair
- Irrigation Specialists
- Irrigation Specialist
- Sprinkler Winterization Service
- Irrigation System Repair
Fall Lawn Care Steps
As the autumn season approaches and the freezing weather and winter snows follow soon after, do you know how to care for your Country Life Acres yard? The best way to keep your turf healthy all year and get it ready for winter conditions is to :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn is dictated by the variety of grass you have. There are cool-season grasses and warm-season grasses. With Country Life Acres, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Missouri knows this about our state's climate. As such, both kinds of grasses are common in our community, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. If you have cool season grasses, including fescue bluegrass, start fertilizing your Country Life Acres yard from September until November. For the last fertilizer application of the season, you can elect to use a winterizing fertilizer developed specifically to promote hardiness in grasses, which will result in a thicker, more beautiful yard. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. As with any time you are dealing with fertilizer, be careful not to apply too much.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Country Life Acres lawn. Though multiple methods of aeration exist, core aeration is the most effective. It improves soil composition and maximizes air, water, and nutrient flow in the soil. Aerating your Country Life Acres lawn relieves compaction of the clay-rich soil and the plugs that are pulled from the ground break up thatch to a healthy thickness. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Drop your mower blade to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. Keeping the grass shorter prevents fungal growth and matting in the winter under the added weight of dead leaves, snow, and ice. Cut it much shorter than three inches, and you give weeds room to take hold and grow. This is because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Let the rate of growth dictate when and how often you mow in the fall.
- Weed. A multiple-method approach will be most successful for fighting weed growth in Country Life Acres, MO and keeping your grass healthy. One strategy is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide at the beginning of the season to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. If weeds do emerge over the fall, a post-emergence herbicide can be applied late in the fall. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. Following general lawn maintenance guidelines like aerating and fertilizing at the recommended times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. You still need to water you cool-season grass, as it is still actively growing. Make sure your grass receives about one inch of water per week in Country Life Acres, MO, gradually spreading this out to every two weeks as growth begins to slow and winter approaches. Pay attention to the unpredictable Country Life Acres weather. Your grass may get enough water most weeks from natural rainfall alone. For your Country Life Acres irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Too many leaves on the grass will block the grass's access to light and air and traps excess moisture. Instead of having to rake way the leaves, you can use a mulching lawnmower to turn the leaves into a mulch you can apply throughout your yard. It saves some time, but it must be done before the layer of leaves gets too dense. In addition to removing leaves, cleaning the yard includes addressing thatch, the buildup of dead organic matter between grass blades and the soil. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will negatively affect the health of your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Are you seeing bare or dead spots in your lawn? Or is your yard looking a little sparse overall? In early fall, reseed or install sod to address any bare spots. If reseeding, be sure that the seeds are not too concentrated or close together, and if sodding, make sure to water abundantly to ensure successful installation. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Country Life Acres spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Country Life Acres area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.