Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Fenton, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Fenton, MO Fall Lawn Care
With each season come a unique set of landscaping needs that must be done to keep your lawn at its best. Successful Fenton lawn care is not merely mowing and watering once a week during the summer - it requires strategically scheduled and executed maintenance during every season. You can handle some things on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. Do the right things at the right time this fall in Fenton, MO, and brilliant, healthy green grass will emerge from the snow when spring rolls around. Let Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis transform your property into the envy of your neighbors with our Fenton, MO fall lawn care services. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Fenton, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Fenton, MO, including:
- Lawn Fertilizer Service Near Me
- Lawn Aeration Near Me
- Sprinkler System Installation
- Outdoor Landscape Lighting
- Spring Lawn Care
- Sprinkler System Startup
- Lawn Care Service
- Dewinterize Sprinkler System
- Sprinkler Valve Repair
- Irrigation Specialists
Fall Lawn Care Steps
Are you and your Fenton yard prepared for autumn weather and the winter that will come soon after? The best way to keep your turf healthy all year and get it ready for winter conditions is to :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. There are cool-season grasses and warm-season grasses. With Fenton, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Missouri knows this about our state's climate. As such, we have both types of grasses in the yards of our residents, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. If you have cool season grasses, including fescue bluegrass, start fertilizing your Fenton yard from September until November. As temperatures cool and you prepare to apply the last round of fertilizer of the season, switching to a special winterizing fertilizer will prepare your grass for the winter season and make it more hardy, making for a more full and luscious yard in the springtime. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. Be careful not to overfertilize.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Fenton lawn. The best way to aerate your lawn is the core aeration method. It improves soil composition and maximizes air, water, and nutrient flow in the soil. Aerating your Fenton lawn also benefits your land by breaking up built-up thatch and alleviating compaction of the clay soil. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Drop your mower blade to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. Keeping the grass shorter prevents fungal growth and matting in the winter under the added weight of dead leaves, snow, and ice. Cut it much shorter than three inches, and you give weeds room to take hold and grow. This is because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Let the rate of growth dictate when and how often you mow in the fall.
- Weed. A multiple-method approach will be most successful for fighting weed growth in Fenton, MO and keeping your grass healthy. The most direct method is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide early in the fall to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. If weeds do emerge over the fall, a post-emergence herbicide can be applied late in the fall. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. A regular maintenance practice including aerating and fertilizing at the right times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. Cool-season grasses are still actively growing in the fall and, therefore, require water. Make sure your grass receives about one inch of water per week in Fenton, MO, gradually spreading this out to every two weeks as growth begins to slow and winter approaches. Pay attention to the unpredictable Fenton weather. Natural precipitation will provide adequate watering during much of the fall. For your Fenton irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Too many leaves on the grass will block the grass's access to light and air and traps excess moisture. If the layer of leaves is not excessively thick yet, you can skip the raking and instead use a mulching lawnmower to shred the dry leaves and disperse them as a mulch. Another way to clean your yard is by removing dead organic matter that has built up between the top of the grass and the soil, known as thatch. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will hurt your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Before winter comes, take a survey of your yard. Do you have bald spots, brown spots, or thinning? Reseed bare spots in the early fall by sprinkling a few seeds around or lay a patch of sod, making sure it has plenty of water to get established. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Fenton spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Fenton area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.