Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Fenton, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. Find additional information and get your fall lawn care started by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Fenton, MO Fall Lawn Care
With each season come a unique set of landscaping needs that must be done to keep your lawn at its best. Successful Fenton lawn care is not merely mowing and watering once a week during the summer - it requires strategically scheduled and executed maintenance during every season. Some maintenance is easily done on your own, while other processes require professional services.
The time you’ve invested in your yard this spring and summer will all go to waste if you don’t give it the proper care this fall. Do the right things at the right time this fall in Fenton, MO, and brilliant, healthy green grass will emerge from the snow when spring rolls around. Let Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis transform your property into the envy of your neighbors with our Fenton, MO fall lawn care services. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Fenton, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Fenton, MO, including:
Fall Lawn Care Steps
As the autumn season approaches and the freezing weather and winter snows follow soon after, do you know how to care for your Fenton yard? Prepare the turf for the cold season and ensure that it stays at optimal health throughout the year by following these Fenton, MO fall lawn care tips :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn is dictated by the variety of grass you have. There are cool-season grasses and warm-season grasses. With Fenton, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Any Missouri native is well aware of this fact of life. As such, both kinds of grasses are common in our community, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. Cool season grasses in Fenton, such as fescue and bluegrass, should be fertilized in early to mid-September to November. As temperatures cool and you prepare to apply the last round of fertilizer of the season, switching to a special winterizing fertilizer will prepare your grass for the winter season and make it more hardy, making for a more full and luscious yard in the springtime. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. As with any time you are dealing with fertilizer, be careful not to apply too much.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Fenton lawn. The best way to aerate your lawn is the core aeration method. It improves soil composition and maximizes air, water, and nutrient flow in the soil. Aerating your Fenton lawn also benefits your land by breaking up built-up thatch and alleviating compaction of the clay soil. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Drop your mower blade to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. The idea is to keep the grass short enough to prevent winter fungal growth and matting from the weight of leaf and snow buildup, but not so short that it leaves room for weeds to grow and mature. This happens because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Let the rate of growth dictate when and how often you mow in the fall.
- Weed. A multiple-method approach will be most successful for fighting weed growth in Fenton, MO and keeping your grass healthy. One strategy is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide at the beginning of the season to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. If weeds do emerge over the fall, a post-emergence herbicide can be applied late in the fall. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. Following general lawn maintenance guidelines like aerating and fertilizing at the recommended times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. Cool-season grasses are still actively growing in the fall and, therefore, require water. Make sure your grass receives about one inch of water per week in Fenton, MO, gradually spreading this out to every two weeks as growth begins to slow and winter approaches. Pay attention to the unpredictable Fenton weather. Natural precipitation will provide adequate watering during much of the fall. For your Fenton irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Too many leaves on the grass will block the grass's access to light and air and traps excess moisture. Instead of having to rake way the leaves, you can use a mulching lawnmower to turn the leaves into a mulch you can apply throughout your yard. It saves some time, but it must be done before the layer of leaves gets too dense. In addition to removing leaves, cleaning the yard includes addressing thatch, the buildup of dead organic matter between grass blades and the soil. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will hurt your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Before winter comes, take a survey of your yard. Do you have bald spots, brown spots, or thinning? In early fall, reseed or install sod to address any bare spots. If reseeding, be sure that the seeds are not too concentrated or close together, and if sodding, make sure to water abundantly to ensure successful installation. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Fenton spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Fenton area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.