Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in University City, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
University City, MO Fall Lawn Care
The transition of one season to the next always means something when it comes to lawn care. It takes carefully timed efforts year-round to keep a University City lawn looking nice and performing at its best. You can handle some things on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. The proper University City, MO fall lawn care done at the right time is absolutely essential to coming out of the winter with a luscious, thriving landscape. With the help of Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis and our University City, MO lawn care services, your lawn will become the highlight of the neighborhood. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in University City, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in University City, MO, including:
- Winterize Sprinkler System
- Lawn Fertilizer Service Near Me
- Lawn Aeration Near Me
- Sprinkler System Installation
- Outdoor Landscape Lighting
- Spring Lawn Care
- Sprinkler System Startup
- Lawn Care Service
- Dewinterize Sprinkler System
- Sprinkler Valve Repair
Fall Lawn Care Steps
Are you and your University City yard prepared for autumn weather and the winter that will come soon after? The best way to keep your turf healthy all year and get it ready for winter conditions is to :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. There are cool-season grasses and warm-season grasses. With University City, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Any Missouri native is well aware of this fact of life. As such, we have both types of grasses in the yards of our residents, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. If you have cool season grasses, including fescue bluegrass, start fertilizing your University City yard from September until November. For the last fertilizer application of the season, you can elect to use a winterizing fertilizer developed specifically to promote hardiness in grasses, which will result in a thicker, more beautiful yard. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. Be careful not to overfertilize.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your University City lawn. The best way to aerate your lawn is the core aeration method. Aeraton not only improves overall soil composition, but also helps the movement of air, water, and other nutrients through the earth. Aerating your University City lawn also benefits your land by breaking up built-up thatch and alleviating compaction of the clay soil. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Drop your mower blade to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. The idea is to keep the grass short enough to prevent winter fungal growth and matting from the weight of leaf and snow buildup, but not so short that it leaves room for weeds to grow and mature. This happens because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Time the frequency of your mowing with the growth rate of the grass blades.
- Weed. A multiple-method approach will be most successful for fighting weed growth in University City, MO and keeping your grass healthy. The most direct method is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide at the beginning of the season to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. For any weeds that still show up, try a post-emergence herbicide at the end of the fall season. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. A regular maintenance practice including aerating and fertilizing at the right times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. You still need to water you cool-season grass, as it is still actively growing. Start the fall in University City, MO by getting your grass watered an inch per week, and reduce to an inch every two weeks as we transition into winter. Pay attention to the unpredictable University City weather. Natural precipitation will provide adequate watering during much of the fall. For your University City irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Too many leaves on the grass will block the grass's access to light and air and traps excess moisture. If the layer of leaves is not excessively thick yet, you can skip the raking and instead use a mulching lawnmower to shred the dry leaves and disperse them as a mulch. In addition to removing leaves, cleaning the yard includes addressing thatch, the buildup of dead organic matter between grass blades and the soil. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will hurt your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Are you seeing bare or dead spots in your lawn? Or is your yard looking a little sparse overall? Reseed bare spots in the early fall by sprinkling a few seeds around or lay a patch of sod, making sure it has plenty of water to get established. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full University City spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading University City area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.