Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Olivette, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Olivette, MO Fall Lawn Care
The transition of one season to the next always means something when it comes to lawn care. Successful Olivette lawn care is not merely mowing and watering once a week during the summer - it requires strategically scheduled and executed maintenance during every season. Some maintenance is easily done on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. The proper Olivette, MO fall lawn care done at the right time is absolutely essential to coming out of the winter with a luscious, thriving landscape. With the help of Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis and our Olivette, MO lawn care services, your lawn will become the highlight of the neighborhood. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Olivette, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Olivette, MO, including:
- Licensed Backflow Tester Near Me
- Local Lawn Care
- Irrigation Companies
- Winterize Sprinkler System
- Lawn Fertilizer Service Near Me
- Lawn Aeration Near Me
- Sprinkler System Installation
- Outdoor Landscape Lighting
- Spring Lawn Care
- Sprinkler System Startup
Fall Lawn Care Steps
Are you and your Olivette yard prepared for autumn weather and the winter that will come soon after? The best way to keep your turf healthy all year and get it ready for winter conditions is to :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. There are cool-season grasses and warm-season grasses. With Olivette, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Missouri knows this about our state's climate. As such, both kinds of grasses are common in our community, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. Cool season grasses in Olivette, such as fescue and bluegrass, should be fertilized in early to mid-September to November. As temperatures cool and you prepare to apply the last round of fertilizer of the season, switching to a special winterizing fertilizer will prepare your grass for the winter season and make it more hardy, making for a more full and luscious yard in the springtime. Warm-season grasses have an earlier schedule. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. As with any time you are dealing with fertilizer, be careful not to apply too much.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Olivette lawn. The best way to aerate your lawn is the core aeration method. Aeraton not only improves overall soil composition, but also helps the movement of air, water, and other nutrients through the earth. Aerating your Olivette lawn relieves compaction of the clay-rich soil and the plugs that are pulled from the ground break up thatch to a healthy thickness. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Adjust your lawnmower to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. Keeping the grass shorter prevents fungal growth and matting in the winter under the added weight of dead leaves, snow, and ice. Cut it much shorter than three inches, and you give weeds room to take hold and grow. This is because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Time the frequency of your mowing with the growth rate of the grass blades.
- Weed. To most effectively protect the health of your Olivette, MO grass, you need a multi-pronged weed-fighting system. One strategy is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide early in the fall to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. If weeds do emerge over the fall, a post-emergence herbicide can be applied late in the fall. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. Following general lawn maintenance guidelines like aerating and fertilizing at the recommended times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. Cool-season grasses are still actively growing in the fall and, therefore, require water. Start the fall in Olivette, MO by getting your grass watered an inch per week, and reduce to an inch every two weeks as we transition into winter. Pay attention to the unpredictable Olivette weather. Your grass may get enough water most weeks from natural rainfall alone. For your Olivette irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Too many leaves on the grass will block the grass's access to light and air and traps excess moisture. Instead of having to rake way the leaves, you can use a mulching lawnmower to turn the leaves into a mulch you can apply throughout your yard. It saves some time, but it must be done before the layer of leaves gets too dense. In addition to removing leaves, cleaning the yard includes addressing thatch, the buildup of dead organic matter between grass blades and the soil. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will negatively affect the health of your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Are you seeing bare or dead spots in your lawn? Or is your yard looking a little sparse overall? In early fall, reseed or install sod to address any bare spots. If reseeding, be sure that the seeds are not too concentrated or close together, and if sodding, make sure to water abundantly to ensure successful installation. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Olivette spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Olivette area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.