Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Olivette, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. Find additional information and get your fall lawn care started by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Olivette, MO Fall Lawn Care
With each season come a unique set of landscaping needs that must be done to keep your lawn at its best. It takes carefully timed efforts year-round to keep a Olivette lawn looking nice and performing at its best. Some maintenance is easily done on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. The proper Olivette, MO fall lawn care done at the right time is absolutely essential to coming out of the winter with a luscious, thriving landscape. With the help of Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis and our Olivette, MO lawn care services, your lawn will become the highlight of the neighborhood. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Olivette, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Olivette, MO, including:
Fall Lawn Care Steps
As the autumn season approaches and the freezing weather and winter snows follow soon after, do you know how to care for your Olivette yard? Prepare the turf for the cold season and ensure that it stays at optimal health throughout the year by following these Olivette, MO fall lawn care tips :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. You grass could either by a cool-season or warm-season variety. With Olivette, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Any Missouri native is well aware of this fact of life. As such, we have both types of grasses in the yards of our residents, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. If you have cool season grasses, including fescue bluegrass, start fertilizing your Olivette yard from September until November. For the last fertilizer application of the season, you can elect to use a winterizing fertilizer developed specifically to promote hardiness in grasses, which will result in a thicker, more beautiful yard. Warm-season grasses have an earlier schedule. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. As with any time you are dealing with fertilizer, be careful not to apply too much.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Olivette lawn. Though multiple methods of aeration exist, core aeration is the most effective. Aeraton not only improves overall soil composition, but also helps the movement of air, water, and other nutrients through the earth. Aerating your Olivette lawn relieves compaction of the clay-rich soil and the plugs that are pulled from the ground break up thatch to a healthy thickness. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Adjust your lawnmower to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. The idea is to keep the grass short enough to prevent winter fungal growth and matting from the weight of leaf and snow buildup, but not so short that it leaves room for weeds to grow and mature. This happens because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Time the frequency of your mowing with the growth rate of the grass blades.
- Weed. To most effectively protect the health of your Olivette, MO grass, you need a multi-pronged weed-fighting system. One strategy is the use of chemical herbicides. Treat your yard with a pre-emergence herbicide early in the fall to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. If weeds do emerge over the fall, a post-emergence herbicide can be applied late in the fall. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. A regular maintenance practice including aerating and fertilizing at the right times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. You still need to water you cool-season grass, as it is still actively growing. Start the fall in Olivette, MO by getting your grass watered an inch per week, and reduce to an inch every two weeks as we transition into winter. Pay attention to the unpredictable Olivette weather. Your grass may get enough water most weeks from natural rainfall alone. For your Olivette irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Dead leaves that gather on your lawn can be harmful; they keep light and air out and moisture in. If the layer of leaves is not excessively thick yet, you can skip the raking and instead use a mulching lawnmower to shred the dry leaves and disperse them as a mulch. In addition to removing leaves, cleaning the yard includes addressing thatch, the buildup of dead organic matter between grass blades and the soil. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will negatively affect the health of your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Are you seeing bare or dead spots in your lawn? Or is your yard looking a little sparse overall? Reseed bare spots in the early fall by sprinkling a few seeds around or lay a patch of sod, making sure it has plenty of water to get established. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Olivette spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Olivette area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.