Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Rock Hill, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Rock Hill, MO Fall Lawn Care
With each season come a unique set of landscaping needs that must be done to keep your lawn at its best. It takes carefully timed efforts year-round to keep a Rock Hill lawn looking nice and performing at its best. You can handle some things on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. Do the right things at the right time this fall in Rock Hill, MO, and brilliant, healthy green grass will emerge from the snow when spring rolls around. With the help of Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis and our Rock Hill, MO lawn care services, your lawn will become the highlight of the neighborhood. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Rock Hill, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Rock Hill, MO, including:
- Irrigation System Repair
- Lawn Sprinkler Repair
- Sprinkler System Repair
- Irrigation Repair
- Sprinkler Repair Near Me
- Sprinkler Repair
- Sprinkler Blowout
- Sprinkler Winterization
Fall Lawn Care Steps
Are you and your Rock Hill yard prepared for autumn weather and the winter that will come soon after? The best way to keep your turf healthy all year and get it ready for winter conditions is to :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. You grass could either by a cool-season or warm-season variety. With Rock Hill, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Missouri knows this about our state's climate. As such, both kinds of grasses are common in our community, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. If you have cool season grasses, including fescue bluegrass, start fertilizing your Rock Hill yard from September until November. As temperatures cool and you prepare to apply the last round of fertilizer of the season, switching to a special winterizing fertilizer will prepare your grass for the winter season and make it more hardy, making for a more full and luscious yard in the springtime. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. Be careful not to overfertilize.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Rock Hill lawn. The best way to aerate your lawn is the core aeration method. It improves soil composition and maximizes air, water, and nutrient flow in the soil. Aerating your Rock Hill lawn relieves compaction of the clay-rich soil and the plugs that are pulled from the ground break up thatch to a healthy thickness. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Adjust your lawnmower to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. The idea is to keep the grass short enough to prevent winter fungal growth and matting from the weight of leaf and snow buildup, but not so short that it leaves room for weeds to grow and mature. This happens because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Let the rate of growth dictate when and how often you mow in the fall.
- Weed. A multiple-method approach will be most successful for fighting weed growth in Rock Hill, MO and keeping your grass healthy. One strategy is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide at the beginning of the season to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. For any weeds that still show up, try a post-emergence herbicide at the end of the fall season. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. Following general lawn maintenance guidelines like aerating and fertilizing at the recommended times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. Cool-season grasses are still actively growing in the fall and, therefore, require water. Make sure your grass receives about one inch of water per week in Rock Hill, MO, gradually spreading this out to every two weeks as growth begins to slow and winter approaches. Pay attention to the unpredictable Rock Hill weather. Natural precipitation will provide adequate watering during much of the fall. For your Rock Hill irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Too many leaves on the grass will block the grass's access to light and air and traps excess moisture. Instead of having to rake way the leaves, you can use a mulching lawnmower to turn the leaves into a mulch you can apply throughout your yard. It saves some time, but it must be done before the layer of leaves gets too dense. Another way to clean your yard is by removing dead organic matter that has built up between the top of the grass and the soil, known as thatch. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will negatively affect the health of your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Before winter comes, take a survey of your yard. Do you have bald spots, brown spots, or thinning? Reseed bare spots in the early fall by sprinkling a few seeds around or lay a patch of sod, making sure it has plenty of water to get established. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Rock Hill spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Rock Hill area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.