Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Huntleigh, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Huntleigh, MO Fall Lawn Care
With each season come a unique set of landscaping needs that must be done to keep your lawn at its best. Successful Huntleigh lawn care is not merely mowing and watering once a week during the summer - it requires strategically scheduled and executed maintenance during every season. Some maintenance is easily done on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. The proper Huntleigh, MO fall lawn care done at the right time is absolutely essential to coming out of the winter with a luscious, thriving landscape. With the help of Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis and our Huntleigh, MO lawn care services, your lawn will become the highlight of the neighborhood. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Huntleigh, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Huntleigh, MO, including:
Fall Lawn Care Steps
Are you and your Huntleigh yard prepared for autumn weather and the winter that will come soon after? The best way to keep your turf healthy all year and get it ready for winter conditions is to :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. There are cool-season grasses and warm-season grasses. With Huntleigh, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Any Missouri native is well aware of this fact of life. As such, we have both types of grasses in the yards of our residents, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. Cool season grasses in Huntleigh, such as fescue and bluegrass, should be fertilized in early to mid-September to November. As temperatures cool and you prepare to apply the last round of fertilizer of the season, switching to a special winterizing fertilizer will prepare your grass for the winter season and make it more hardy, making for a more full and luscious yard in the springtime. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. As with any time you are dealing with fertilizer, be careful not to apply too much.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Huntleigh lawn. Though multiple methods of aeration exist, core aeration is the most effective. Aeraton not only improves overall soil composition, but also helps the movement of air, water, and other nutrients through the earth. Aerating your Huntleigh lawn relieves compaction of the clay-rich soil and the plugs that are pulled from the ground break up thatch to a healthy thickness. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Drop your mower blade to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. The idea is to keep the grass short enough to prevent winter fungal growth and matting from the weight of leaf and snow buildup, but not so short that it leaves room for weeds to grow and mature. This happens because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Time the frequency of your mowing with the growth rate of the grass blades.
- Weed. A multiple-method approach will be most successful for fighting weed growth in Huntleigh, MO and keeping your grass healthy. One strategy is the use of chemical herbicides. Treat your yard with a pre-emergence herbicide at the beginning of the season to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. For any weeds that still show up, try a post-emergence herbicide at the end of the fall season. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. Following general lawn maintenance guidelines like aerating and fertilizing at the recommended times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. Cool-season grasses are still actively growing in the fall and, therefore, require water. Make sure your grass receives about one inch of water per week in Huntleigh, MO, gradually spreading this out to every two weeks as growth begins to slow and winter approaches. Pay attention to the unpredictable Huntleigh weather. Natural precipitation will provide adequate watering during much of the fall. For your Huntleigh irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Dead leaves that gather on your lawn can be harmful; they keep light and air out and moisture in. If the layer of leaves is not excessively thick yet, you can skip the raking and instead use a mulching lawnmower to shred the dry leaves and disperse them as a mulch. In addition to removing leaves, cleaning the yard includes addressing thatch, the buildup of dead organic matter between grass blades and the soil. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will hurt your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Before winter comes, take a survey of your yard. Do you have bald spots, brown spots, or thinning? In early fall, reseed or install sod to address any bare spots. If reseeding, be sure that the seeds are not too concentrated or close together, and if sodding, make sure to water abundantly to ensure successful installation. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Huntleigh spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Huntleigh area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.