Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Maplewood, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Maplewood, MO Fall Lawn Care
The transition of one season to the next always means something when it comes to lawn care. Successful Maplewood lawn care is not merely mowing and watering once a week during the summer - it requires strategically scheduled and executed maintenance during every season. You can handle some things on your own, while other processes require professional services.
As cool weather approaches, don't let the hard work you've done all spring and summer go to waste. The proper Maplewood, MO fall lawn care done at the right time is absolutely essential to coming out of the winter with a luscious, thriving landscape. With the help of Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis and our Maplewood, MO lawn care services, your lawn will become the highlight of the neighborhood. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Maplewood, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Maplewood, MO, including:
Fall Lawn Care Steps
Are you and your Maplewood yard prepared for autumn weather and the winter that will come soon after? The best way to keep your turf healthy all year and get it ready for winter conditions is to :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. There are cool-season grasses and warm-season grasses. With Maplewood, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Any Missouri native is well aware of this fact of life. As such, both kinds of grasses are common in our community, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. If you have cool season grasses, including fescue bluegrass, start fertilizing your Maplewood yard from September until November. As temperatures cool and you prepare to apply the last round of fertilizer of the season, switching to a special winterizing fertilizer will prepare your grass for the winter season and make it more hardy, making for a more full and luscious yard in the springtime. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. As with any time you are dealing with fertilizer, be careful not to apply too much.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Maplewood lawn. The best way to aerate your lawn is the core aeration method. It improves soil composition and maximizes air, water, and nutrient flow in the soil. Aerating your Maplewood lawn relieves compaction of the clay-rich soil and the plugs that are pulled from the ground break up thatch to a healthy thickness. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Drop your mower blade to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. The idea is to keep the grass short enough to prevent winter fungal growth and matting from the weight of leaf and snow buildup, but not so short that it leaves room for weeds to grow and mature. This happens because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Time the frequency of your mowing with the growth rate of the grass blades.
- Weed. A multiple-method approach will be most successful for fighting weed growth in Maplewood, MO and keeping your grass healthy. One strategy is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide early in the fall to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. For any weeds that still show up, try a post-emergence herbicide at the end of the fall season. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. A regular maintenance practice including aerating and fertilizing at the right times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. You still need to water you cool-season grass, as it is still actively growing. Make sure your grass receives about one inch of water per week in Maplewood, MO, gradually spreading this out to every two weeks as growth begins to slow and winter approaches. Pay attention to the unpredictable Maplewood weather. Your grass may get enough water most weeks from natural rainfall alone. For your Maplewood irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Dead leaves that gather on your lawn can be harmful; they keep light and air out and moisture in. If the layer of leaves is not excessively thick yet, you can skip the raking and instead use a mulching lawnmower to shred the dry leaves and disperse them as a mulch. Another way to clean your yard is by removing dead organic matter that has built up between the top of the grass and the soil, known as thatch. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will hurt your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Are you seeing bare or dead spots in your lawn? Or is your yard looking a little sparse overall? In early fall, reseed or install sod to address any bare spots. If reseeding, be sure that the seeds are not too concentrated or close together, and if sodding, make sure to water abundantly to ensure successful installation. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Maplewood spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Maplewood area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.