Fall Lawn Care
For fall lawn care tips and services in Maplewood, MO, come to Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis. You can learn more about our lawn care services and can schedule a service call by calling (314) 450-0342 or messaging our team today.
Maplewood, MO Fall Lawn Care
The transition of one season to the next always means something when it comes to lawn care. Successful Maplewood lawn care is not merely mowing and watering once a week during the summer - it requires strategically scheduled and executed maintenance during every season. You can handle some things on your own, while other processes require professional services.
The time you’ve invested in your yard this spring and summer will all go to waste if you don’t give it the proper care this fall. Do the right things at the right time this fall in Maplewood, MO, and brilliant, healthy green grass will emerge from the snow when spring rolls around. With the help of Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis and our Maplewood, MO lawn care services, your lawn will become the highlight of the neighborhood. We have the expertise and skill necessary to keep lawns in Maplewood, MO healthy through every season of every year. Do yourself and your lawn a favor by contacting our fall lawn care and landscaping company today, by phone at (314) 450-0342 or online, today.
We provide total lawn and landscape services in Maplewood, MO, including:
- Irrigation Repair
- Sprinkler Repair Near Me
- Sprinkler Repair
- Sprinkler Blowout
- Sprinkler Winterization
- Landscape Lighting Services
- Outdoor Lighting
- Lawn Care
Fall Lawn Care Steps
As the autumn season approaches and the freezing weather and winter snows follow soon after, do you know how to care for your Maplewood yard? Prepare the turf for the cold season and ensure that it stays at optimal health throughout the year by following these Maplewood, MO fall lawn care tips :
- Fertilize. The best time for you to fertilize your lawn will depend on the type of grass you have. You grass could either by a cool-season or warm-season variety. With Maplewood, MO being in the country's transition zone, temperatures vary greatly throughout the year. Any Missouri native is well aware of this fact of life. As such, both kinds of grasses are common in our community, and some yards are made up of a blend of both warm-season and cool-season grasses. Cool season grasses in Maplewood, such as fescue and bluegrass, should be fertilized in early to mid-September to November. For the last fertilizer application of the season, you can elect to use a winterizing fertilizer developed specifically to promote hardiness in grasses, which will result in a thicker, more beautiful yard. Fertilize earlier in the year for warm-season grasses. You should start fertilizing warm season grasses like Bermuda and zoysia in July, with the last application in August, about six to eight weeks prior to the first frost. Be careful not to overfertilize.
- Aerate. Early fall is the ideal time to aerate your Maplewood lawn. The best way to aerate your lawn is the core aeration method. Aeraton not only improves overall soil composition, but also helps the movement of air, water, and other nutrients through the earth. Aerating your Maplewood lawn also benefits your land by breaking up built-up thatch and alleviating compaction of the clay soil. Aeration is great for assisting in seeding and fertilizing.
- Mow. Drop your mower blade to cut your grass a bit shorter in the fall (it may be best to do this gradually). Three inches is a good benchmark. The idea is to keep the grass short enough to prevent winter fungal growth and matting from the weight of leaf and snow buildup, but not so short that it leaves room for weeds to grow and mature. This happens because blunted grass blades have less root growth, so there is more room in the soil for weeds to flourish. Time the frequency of your mowing with the growth rate of the grass blades.
- Weed. To most effectively protect the health of your Maplewood, MO grass, you need a multi-pronged weed-fighting system. The most direct method is the use of chemical herbicides. Use a pre-emergence herbicide at the beginning of the season to prevent annual winter weeds from sprouting. For any weeds that still show up, try a post-emergence herbicide at the end of the fall season. Prevention is key in controlling weeds. Following general lawn maintenance guidelines like aerating and fertilizing at the recommended times will keep your yard lush, full, and healthy; this blocks out many weeds from being able to grow.
- Water. You still need to water you cool-season grass, as it is still actively growing. Start the fall in Maplewood, MO by getting your grass watered an inch per week, and reduce to an inch every two weeks as we transition into winter. Pay attention to the unpredictable Maplewood weather. Your grass may get enough water most weeks from natural rainfall alone. For your Maplewood irrigation or sprinkler system, prepare to winterize your watering system by clearing the lines of water before freezing temperatures set in.
- Clean. It's important to remove fallen leaves from your lawn. Too many leaves on the grass will block the grass's access to light and air and traps excess moisture. If the layer of leaves is not excessively thick yet, you can skip the raking and instead use a mulching lawnmower to shred the dry leaves and disperse them as a mulch. Another way to clean your yard is by removing dead organic matter that has built up between the top of the grass and the soil, known as thatch. A thatch layer thicker than half an inch will negatively affect the health of your turf. Use a tool specially made to dethatch and remove the excess organic matter.
- Repair. Are you seeing bare or dead spots in your lawn? Or is your yard looking a little sparse overall? Reseed bare spots in the early fall by sprinkling a few seeds around or lay a patch of sod, making sure it has plenty of water to get established. You can also overseed throughout your yard to prepare for a beautifully full Maplewood spring lawn. Apply the seeds two to four weeks before the first frost of the season.
Fall Lawn Care Near Me | Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis
Taking care of your yard in the fall with the proper maintenance steps will pay off many times over when the warm weather returns. Keep your turf looking great and staying healthy with fall lawn care. For your fall lawn care needs and all other landscaping services, Lawn Sprinklers of St. Louis is the leading Maplewood area provider. Begin the fall lawn care process today by calling us at (314) 450-0342.